Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Brink of the World

If you were to record the things that I have said for the past month, it would sound like a broken record. Some key words/phrases would be: "omg graduation", "I don't know what I am going to do after I graduate yet", "I don't like good-byes", "I have to write my Masters", "I am going to miss my students", "I miss my students."

In retrospect, I might have said some of these phrases a little too much. So if you are reading this and thinking to yourself, "YUP, I for sure heard her say that. Many times", thank you. Honestly. It makes me think of how fortunate I am to have people in my life who continue to be there to listen to me, talk to me, and support me no matter the circumstances, even if I do sound like a broken record-- a high pitched broken record.

Being in college and away from home for the past five years has truly been a wild ride. There were times when giving up sounded like the best thing to do yet also the most stupid thing to do. I have had successes coupled with failures, sometimes two-fold, and then experiencing the inevitable emotional roller coaster ride that goes along with the two. I have had times which I laughed until I cried and times when I could not cry even though I wanted to. For the first time, I felt what it is like to miss someone. Also for the first time, I felt what it is like to change someone's life. One statement that I agree wholeheartedly with is: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Sometimes you gotta roll with the punches and sometimes you gotta put up a fight. That strength is knowing when to stand up and fight or walk away with confidence and poise. I have a lot left to learn and know that college has been only a small chapter to my "unwritten book of life". Although this chapter may be a short one, it is filled with deep and meaningful content, mainly due to all the great people I have met along with those who have continued to stay with me from my past chapters of life. Even though I may not see some of the people I have grown to care about or have been inspired from, I am okay with it because I will take the memories with me wherever I go.

As most of you know, my life revolves around school. This may initially make you think that this is something negative because who wants their life to revolve around school? But it is something that I choose to immerse myself in because it makes me happy. I have been a student for the past seventeen years of my life and playing the role of a student in a formal school setting is closely coming to an end for me. I say formal setting because I will forever be a student but not as someone sitting in a desk or a lecture hall. We are always learning- that is just human nature. We are all students learning from the world around us. Even as a teacher, I am a student because my students teach me something new everyday.

What is next and what I am most excited for is applying all that I have seen, learned, and heard thus far in my life as a teacher in a classroom. The change in the role of student to being a full time teacher is exciting yet scary at the same time, as I begin to slowly take my toes off the brink of the cliff of safety and take off into the real world. For the first time, I do not not feel like I have a parachute to help soften my fall but I am okay with that because I have a fortunate experience of 22 years of education and support of family and friends to help guide me in all directions.

I would like to end this post with six-word memoirs written by my students. Each of them has a story and these six-word memoirs they wrote meant a lot to them and it means a lot to me.

Faith can lead to greater things.

Live up to your own expectations.

Learn from your mistakes, move on.

Can’t predict the future; embrace it.

A big future but little dreams.

Life’s like a storm, prepare yourself.

Passion for something, can sometimes hurt.

Life surprises you, deal with it.

Life’s a joy if you’re happy.

Life is only eat, drink, play.

Adrenaline is my drug for life.

A boy lost in his world.

I’m a victim of Babylon System.

Live life like it’s your last.

Do not fear anyone but yourself.

Life’s a challenge, make it last.

Keep look out; world is coming.

I love to pet of cats.

What’s having money without good health?

Live in the moment without regrets.

Trust is love so keep believing.

Life is a story never written.

World of imagination does not disappear.

My loving brother leaves for Afghanistan.

-- Written by students in World Lit class June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment